Saturday, January 3, 2009

MENARCHE

In the beginning we have the MENARCHE, the females first menstruation, occurring at around the age of 12 although in todays society it is happening sooner. The menarche in many cultures signifying a female becoming a woman, with many customs and beliefs. From the onset of Menarche to the journey of menopause is where I am keen to explore. So many different cultures, customs, secrecy, wives tales, and attitudes. Menopause is researched to happen somewhere between the ages fo 45 and 55. You can find books, websites etc, etc, but I want to explore it from how it is for individuals, explore it through art. When does the perimenopause begin for you? How are you feeling? what are the beliefs that surround you?

I recall as a young girl some information being given to me about menstruation. I knew about this when I was in primary school and expected it to happen anytime from the age of 10. My friend I recall at the time knew nothing. She had already begun to develop and we would talk and I told her what I knew, as best a 10 year old can. She begun her Menarche before she left primary school. I begun mine at the age of 17. Conversation didn't occur around support and reassurance of this belated stage and even today at the age of 48 I find limited discussion about Menopause, peri-menopause or premenstrual tension unless I happen to speak first. Hey but once I do speak up the conversation becomes animated and interesting and we gain knowledge. So what is it about this western world...

The picture above is one I drew in my journal on a particularly bad day of premenstrual tension. I call it this because I am in the midst of not knowing if I am in a perimonepausal state. Doctors can do tests but I reckon we all know our bodies fairly intimately to know where we are at. The importance I believe is to be able to share with each other.

I am hoping this site will inspire others to record feelings with images of any art form. I will as I do this blog evolve. My aim is to run workshops for those that live near to me to follow this stage of life using art mediums and theory in art and cognitive therapy, and eclectic counselling.